Wednesday, September 21, 2011

Lesson: Do not neglect your CEUs

For the past two weeks I have been reading online texts and taking tests to gain the 20 hours of continuing education units that are required for me to renew my professional PT license by October 1, 2011. Whew, it has been a long time since I reviewed the anatomy and biomechanics of various joints or studied PT treatments and precautions at different post operative levels following joint surgeries or joint replacements (arthroplasty.)

Some of the terminology has changed and the names of some of the tests and measurements for evaluating or quantifying progress are completely new to me. Thankfully I hadn’t lost all of the information from PT school and most of the abbreviations used on the patient evaluation forms still rang a bell after a little brain rattling. 

There also are new machines now apparently that can help with balance training in the rehab setting like super fancy Wii boards with computer feedback for every possible weight shift or stance in a variety of settings. A lot of PT still relies on using low tech therabands and dumbbells for strength training and the teaching of basic transfers and ADLS (activities of daily living) that hasn’t changed much over time and probably won’t. 

For those in the family, who maintain professional licenses, you know who you are, do not wait till the month before everything is due to start working on it like I did!

So here are the classes I took; anatomy and biomechanics of the hip, knee, ankle and lumbar spine. That was worth 10 units. Postsurgical module 1 Arthroplasty, covering hip, knee, shoulder, elbow and hand MP joints for 7 units. Postsurgical module 3 Spine, covering spinal surgeries for 3 units.
So there you have it 20 units in two weeks. I am kind of proud of myself. I have two years to complete the next batch of CEUs. Even though I am effectively retired, something still might persuade me to work part time again. 

Lou

3 comments:

  1. I shudder to think what would happen if I were required to take a CE class in photography, sales, video, computers or any of my other avocations. That being said, I am also proud of L for going through it all. She's amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is pretty impressive Mom. I know Michael and Perry would go to a conference for a few days in order to fulfill credits. Perhaps I'm still the optimistic student, but I look forward to continuing my education (those CEU credits can't be too much fun though). Oh, and on the subject of working part time again, I'm totally for it. I think it would be fun to re-connect with the people you would work with every day without the formal commitment of full time work. :) You've proved you are still in the game!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I enjoy CE's too, Radiology specifically MRI is ALWAYS changing so it's fun to learn the new stuff, but it truely is hard to do all your credits at once. I got lucky this last year because my trip to cleveland covered my 24 credits!
    Who knows Mom maybe you will get into some part time work.

    ReplyDelete