Wednesday, February 23, 2011

A Project for a beautiful February Day




The front gardens on the north side of the house are still under an ice and snow cover. The back garden by the patio is clear of snow but was still covered with the debris from last season’s flowers. The sun is shining and the wind is gentle so I spent a little while today clearing the debris and loosening the moist soil.

Writing that "a little while" just now brought back a memory of one of our kids asking “how many whiles” before a certain event was going to happen. Measuring time in whiles, kind of vague but cute.

Winter starts to get really old in Wyoming by mid February so it is so wonderful to get to be outdoors for a bit with the warmth of the sun on my back. Signs of Spring are so invigorating. The grass around the patio pavers is greening up a little even though a full thick lawn is still many whiles away. Under the debris the Spring bulbs are poking up through the soil. Yay!!!

The dog got a bath outside today too. I’ve got it down to a science with S.’s car washing bucket full of warm rinsing water and a large pitcher full of moisturizing shampoo water and a small pitcher for dipping into the rinse water. Oh and the treats to get her to stay with me, I do all of it holding onto her collar. I finish it off by drying her using a big beach towel. she loves that part.

Happy day, warm sun. Arctic weather returns tomorrow.

Lou

P.S. Hi Mom.

2 comments:

  1. sounds like fun!!! I still need you to come down this summer and help me plant some pretty flowers around our house. I have no idea where to put things or what to do and you're gardens always look so colorfull!!
    One of my favorite flowers are the tulips that you have growing in the back yard. its so refreshing to see something so bright and cheery after a long winter. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this about you Mom. You are such a good gardener and always keep the flower beds in such good upkeep!

    ReplyDelete