Sunday, March 13, 2011

Quilting Projects




Lest my family think that I haven’t been doing any quilting lately, here’s an update. I finally finished the binding and hemming on the Celebration quilt (on the bed in the top photo) that has been in the works since last Fall. My quilting mentor quilted it on her long arm Tin Lizzie quilting machine months ago, so I am glad to have it completed now. I really love the vibrant colors and patterns although it doesn’t match anything in my very muted home, oh well.

Another project that has been in the works for a long time is the Twisted Nine Patch quilt. I keep setting it aside to work on other things. I now have the top completed and since it is a little too big for my machine to quilt, I will be paying someone else to quilt it. Some people specialize in custom quilting and have mastered elaborate machine feathering and other designs that are “drawn” freehand. Quilting is not a cheap hobby! Custom quilting costs between $100 and $200 depending on the density of the stitching desired. My mentor gives everyone in our quilting group The Prairie Piecers a discount though. The Twisted Nine Patch quilt is on the table in the middle photo and will probably be a throw or lap quilt for the family room eventually.

There are also some future projects displayed in the bottom photo. A couple table runners and several wall hangings. Spring and summer are shaping up to be busy, exciting times with the arrivals of first a granddaughter and then a grandson so my quilting may slack off a bit until the fall.

I also have a somewhat secret project going on and another baby quilt to start. I have a pattern on order for a collection of fabrics called “On The Move” by Northcott Fabrics that I think will do nicely. It has cars, trucks, boats and planes with cute animal drivers.

All these things should keep me busy. I’ve also just gotten started on my spring cleaning which is badly needed since the bathroom re-model. UGH.

Lou

2 comments:

  1. I think the celebration quilt will be a perfect grandchild room quilt!!! The kiddos will love the bright colors and funness of the fabric! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are SOOO talented! These are amazing! You have been busy... & I know little miss nugget will just love snuggling up in grammie lou's quilt!

    ReplyDelete