Wednesday, April 25, 2012

I’m pretty excited about this


This is a real triumph for me. My orchid of the past three years is about to bloom again for the first time since it came home from the grocery store with blooms several years ago. Because of all the cautions about not putting it in direct sunlight it sat near a west window for a year and a half and did nothing despite careful watering and feeding. It had two dark green leaves. I finally went to a class on orchids at the local community college a year and a half ago and even though it was in the dead of winter brought the orchid (all protected in a box and plastic wrap) with me to ask what to do. I learned that orchids only bloom once a year in the winter. They shouldn’t be dark green but rather a lighter green and should have new leaves growing all the time and a vigorous root system or they will not bloom. 


My orchid was not getting enough light so I moved it to a south exposure on our little kitchen table and it slowly started growing again. Several new sets of leaves grew and then funny looking roots snaking out from under them and finally this winter a stalk growing straight up and then another as well. So now the waiting game for the buds to mature and the flowers. I’m sure it will be worth the wait. Perseverance pays off! I was so close to throwing it out, but I am glad I didn’t. I hope to get a picture of the flowers soon.
Lou

1 comment:

  1. How interesting!!! My plants will be excited to have you come visit... Emily commented on how sad they appear to be lately! I'm hoping your green thumb will rub off on them!

    ReplyDelete