Wednesday, October 13, 2010

Some works in progress

Several of the women in an informal quilt group that I attend once a week are making a quilt called “Celebration.” It reminds me of a large interconnecting chain or honeycomb. Two of us bought the same jellyroll (a roll of strips of fabrics sold as a unit) consisting of 44 bright fabrics and bold designs and are using them on an off white background. Another woman is using all batik fabrics and it will be lovely too.

One problem we encountered was that the jellyrolls were not factory cut and we had to re-cut them to make them the exact two and a half inch width that we needed to piece the blocks, that was not much fun.

Today I arranged all my blocks on the guest bed to see what it was going to look like. I could immediately see that I still had one missing block, which I will remedy. I love the look! It will be a very fun, happy quilt when it is done. I've never used such bold colors before.

I am also sewing the little half square triangle leftovers into a doll blanket or something. The little nine patches they make when sewn together are so tiny and cute, it would be a shame to just toss them in the trash.

I have another unfinished quilt that I started a year ago and have a stack of blocks made for it. I also want to start working on a baby quilt or quilts in the near future.

The saying goes, at least in my quilt group that you aren’t a “true” quilter unless you have several quilts in the works all at the same time.

Lou


2 comments:

  1. Nice pictures! Where did you pick up that technique? Seriously, I showed her once how to download pics and she's obviously "picked" it up!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ya you're right that is a very happy looking quilt! I love it! :) Have you guys ever thought about doing a quilt together and donating it to something. When Chris got out of the military one of the things they gave him (since he was medically discharged) was a quilt made by some ladies in Georgia for injured vetrans. He really appreciated that. I also know that our volunteers here at the hospital sometimes make quilts that they auction off to raise money for various things in the hospital. Just a thought. :)

    ReplyDelete